Daylight Saving Time adjustment needed? [Case Solved]

Support for the Solar Eclipse Maestro photography software.

Daylight Saving Time adjustment needed? [Case Solved]

Postby NM Astro » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:51 am

Hi, I’m just getting started with Eclipse Maestro. I live in the Mountain Time Zone in the US. I will stay within that time zone to observe the eclipse in Wyoming. Totality is scheduled to begin at about 11:45am Mountain Daylight Time (MDT). I set up Maestro for my observing site, but it shows totality beginning at about 10:45am, apparently aligning with Mountain Standard Time, not MDT. I checked the clock on my Mac and it shows the correct time as MDT. I tried using Observer/Current Time to sync Maestro with my Mac, but Maestro still shows totality starting at 10:45am. Obviously, I don’t want my script to start one hour early. Is there a way to adjust for Daylight Saving Time (DST), since my Mac’s clock reflects DST? Or will the program automatically compensate for MDT when the script runs? Thank you!
NM Astro

Re: Daylight Saving Time adjustment needed?

Postby xjubier » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:11 am

NM Astro wrote:Is there a way to adjust for Daylight Saving Time (DST), since my Mac’s clock reflects DST? Or will the program automatically compensate for MDT when the script runs?

The script runs in UTC and the laptop's clock as well so you're perfectly fine.
To change the timezone information, just go to the observer's location and adjust its value accordingly. Up to version 1.8.5v1 there was an issue on the service delivering the timezones information which could result in a one hour gap. The current beta and the coming 1.8.6v1 version correct this unwanted behavior.
xjubier
Site Admin

Re: Daylight Saving Time adjustment needed?

Postby NM Astro » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:17 am

Thank you very much for the fast and helpful response!
NM Astro

Re: Daylight Saving Time adjustment needed? [Case Solved]

Postby szigler511 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:19 am

Xavier,

I thought I had seen the one hour discrepancy with the "Timezone Lookup" version 1.8.5v1. So the correct think to do with 1.8.5v1 is to enter the UTC offset manually for my timezone, correct?

Thanks,
Steve
szigler511

Postby xjubier » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:41 am

szigler511 wrote:So the correct think to do with 1.8.5v1 is to enter the UTC offset manually for my timezone, correct?

Absolutely, or else use the current beta version and of course the coming new release.
xjubier
Site Admin

Postby szigler511 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:42 pm

Thanks, Xavier! I downloaded the beta for the first time yesterday. Unfortunately, I won't have a lot of time to test it, or the new production version, with my scripts before 21 August. So, I will likely be using 1.8.5v1. You’ve probably been asked this many times and you’ve probably answered it many times elsewhere, but when do you expect to release 1.8.6 into its final production version?
szigler511

Postby xjubier » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:59 pm

szigler511 wrote:You’ve probably been asked this many times and you’ve probably answered it many times elsewhere, but when do you expect to release 1.8.6 into its final production version?

Likely on Sunday, if I managed to find the time and don't have too many questions ;-).
xjubier
Site Admin

Return to Solar Eclipse Maestro