Solar Eclipse Maestro 1.9.0v1 for MacOS X released

News and announcements for Lunar Eclipse Maestro.

Solar Eclipse Maestro 1.9.0v1 for MacOS X released

Postby xjubier » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:13 am

Solar Eclipse Maestro 1.9.0v1 is now available for download.

This release fixes all the reported bugs since the previous version and many more. Support for several new camera manufacturers was added: you now can choose from Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, Sony, Fuji and Olympus cameras, plus also the all-sky Ricoh Theta S and SC in both stills and video modes.
DeltaT have been updated to its latest estimation which is 69.357 seconds for July 2nd.

Two versions are available: one Intel only running on Snow Leopard and newer plus another Universal Binary running on Tiger or newer.
All versions support all the Nikon DSLRs and MILCs including the latest D3500, D5600, D7500, D500, D850, D5, Z6 and Z7, plus all the major and newest MILC cameras from Panasonic, Sony, Fuji and Olympus.
All the latest Canon DSLRs and MILCs cameras (to name a few this includes the EOS 1100D/Rebel T3/Kiss X50, 1200D/Rebel T5/Kiss X70, 100D/Rebel SL1/Kiss X7, 200D/Rebel SL2/Kiss X9, 250D/Rebel SL3/Kiss X10/200D II, 600D/Rebel T3i/Kiss X5, 650D/Rebel T4i/Kiss X6i, 700D/Rebel T5i/Kiss X7i, 750D/Rebel T6i/Kiss X8i, 800D/Rebel T7i/Kiss X9i, 760D/Rebel T6s/8000D, 77D/9000D, 70D, 80D, 7D Mark II, 6D, 6D Mark II, 5D Mark III, 5D Mark IV, 5Ds, 5DsR, 1D X, 1D X Mark II, 1D C, RP, R) are only supported by the Intel version. Legacy Canon cameras (EOS 350D/Rebel XT/Kiss N, 20D/20Da and 5D) are only supported by the Universal Binary version. Note that these limitation are due to Canon which artificially stops supporting cameras on older OSes and some tricks have been used to be able to support some of them on the latest OSes.
All the SBIG CCD cameras and their filter wheels are supported as well and it does also work with a few Nikon Coolpix cameras.
Be aware that the Universal Binary version can not operate tether control on DSLRs and MILCs when using El Capitan or newer because Apple has removed some older APIs and the newer ones are not compatible. Outside of camera tether control the application can be used but in that case I'd recommend using the Intel version.

Users of all the previous releases are strongly encouraged to upgrade to this version as it brings some major improvements and fixes bugs. That way you will be able to enjoy new or improved features as well as eclipses even more without worrying about operating your digital cameras. Support for previous versions is terminated as of this day. Browse the ReadMe file to know more.
Please report soonest any problem you may encounter.

Warning: those running any version of High Sierra and wanting to teteher control their cameras should be aware that due to serious regressions by Apple this OS nearly unusable. To be safe upgrade to Mojave or stay put if you have an older OS.

Note: to those running beta test versions and/or those having multiple copies of Solar Eclipse Maestro on their machine, it's mandatory to first delete those copies before launching the application updater/installer as otherwise the wrong copy may get updated.

Here is a short list of the latest improvements and bugfixes:
- Improved compatibility with Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave
- Use of more accurate Besselian elements for TSE 2019, ASE 2019, ASE 2020, TSE 2020, ASE 2021 and TSE 2021
- Adjusted the ∆T value for TSE 2019 (69.357s) and ASE 2019 (69.44s)
- Improved DSLRs and MILCs tethering under Sierra, High Sierra (to be avoided due to multiple regressions never fixed by Apple) and Mojave, particularly for Canon cameras and multiple Canon configurations
- Fix a bug for Canon cameras where the 5-time zoom level in the live view window was always disabled
- Updated the service delivering local terrain elevation information
- Updated the service delivering the timezones information
- Fix for the bracketing on the Nikon D610, D600, D90, D70s, D70, D7000, D5xxx
- Improved the exposure ramps for low-end Canon cameras or those with a slow memory card
- Support of the Nikon D850, Z6 and Z7
- Support of the Canon EOS R, RP, 250D/Rebel SL3/Kiss X10/200D II, 2000D/Rebel T7/Kiss X90/1500D and 4000D/Rebel T100/3000D
- Support of the Panasonic S1R, S1, GH5, G9 and GH5s
- Support of the Sony a9, a7RIII, a7III, RX10IV and RX100VI
- Support of the Fuji GFX 50R, GFX 50S, X-T3, X-T2, X-T1, X-H1 and X-Pro2
- Preliminary support of the Olympus E-M1 Mark II and E-M5 Mark II
- Minor user interface tweaks
- Miscellaneous bug fixes and enhancements

Some modifications included in the previous releases:
- Updated leap second value after 31 December 2016
- Support for the DSUSB and DSUSB2 (from Shoestring Astronomy) shutter control cables
- Fixed a crash with a Nikon D500 (caused by a change of specifications from Nikon)
- Ability to take a serie of exposures while keeping the mirror raised
- Exposure ramping is now supported to speed up and improve the reliability of the DSLR and MILC tethering
- Added a window to check the DSLRs and MILCs settings just before the eclipse
- Fixed a crash on quit with some configurations
- Numerous improvements to better support Garmin GPS units and especially those using Glonass satellites
- Support of Bluetooth GPS units (Garmin GLO recommended) and serial units support has been improved
- Improved the resolution of the lunar limb profiles (down to one hundredth of a degree)
- Added the ability to define a solar radius differing from the standard IAU1976 value
- New tool to study the Baily’s beads
- Fixed a crash occuring when a script is running under El Capitan and Sierra while tethering a Nikon DSLR
- Vastly improved the accuracy of the scripted actions scheduler
- Support of the Nikon D3200, D3300, D3400, D3500, D5200, D5300, D5500, D5600, D7100, D7200, D7500, D500, D600, D610, Df, D750, D810, D810A, D850, D4s and D5, Canon EOS 100D/Rebel SL1/Kiss X7, 200D/Rebel SL2/Kiss X9, 1200D/Rebel T5/Kiss X70, 1300D/Rebel T6/Kiss X80, 650D/Rebel T4i/Kiss X6i, 700D/Rebel T5i/Kiss X7i, EOS 750D/Rebel T6i/Kiss X8i, 800D/Rebel T7i/Kiss X9i, 760D/Rebel T6s/8000D, 77D/9000D, 70D, 80D, 7D Mark II, 6D, 6D Mark II, 5D Mark III, 5D Mark IV, 5Ds/5DsR, 1D X, 1D X Mark II and 1D C
- Support of the Panasonic GX8, GH4 and GH5 (with a firmware update for the GH5)
- Support of the Ricoh Theta m15, S and SC (still and video modes)
- Improved support for NMEA-0183 compliant GPS units
- Added the ability to disconnect from Bluetooth or serial GPS units
- Added the ability to use Besselian elements coming from an external source
- New tool to study flash spectra
- New PDF map in stereographic projection with semi-duration contours
- New visualization of the (ant-)umbral and penumbral shadow cones

Please direct comments, questions, or problems to me on the support board.
To post you will need to register first, but you'll also benefit from the experience of others to find answers to your questions or problems. Please try to post in English in order to have a larger audience. I will generally answer in English to messages in French, Italian, German or Spanish, unless you clearly specify otherwise.

Clear skies to all, and please don't forget to make a donation,

PS: there shouldn't any other release prior to TSE 2019, but please report any bug soonest.
PPS: access to the E-Flight module is strictly restricted and by invitation only
xjubier
Site Admin

Return to Lunar Eclipse Maestro News