Catalina/Big Sur/Monterey advisory

You will find scripts made by others to download and will be able to upload yours.

Catalina/Big Sur/Monterey advisory

Postby xjubier » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:13 pm

Please make sure you don't upgrade to macOS Catalina, Big Sur or any newer version, as Solar Eclipse Maestro, Lunar Eclipse Maestro and Mercury Venus Transit Maestro will not be compatible. It's recommended you stay on Mojave for the time being.

If you still choose to upgrade then the only way to run SEM, LEM or MVTM will be to do so using a virtual machine (VM) running with the help of Parallels Desktop, VMWare or VirtualBox (free).

A complete rewrite of the three applications will be necessary to move from the 32-bit Carbon framework to a 64-bit one and unfortunately this may take a couple years to achieve. In that regard your support is important and a donation would certainly help in the process.
xjubier
Site Admin

Re: Catalina/Big Sur/Monterey advisory

Postby Overdue9292 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:23 am

Hi Xavier,
I recently came across your website and the invaluable tool you have created for eclipse enthusiasts, much appreciate it. I am planning to use your tool during the 2024 Eclipse, but the issue is I have a Mac M1 machine, and as I understand it isn't supported yet. I tried exploring some virtualization solutions as well and then got to know that Apple Silicon machines can't run any intel-based previous MacOS even on a VM.

I see that under Product History you mentioned that a major release is planned for 2024. Could you please share more details on this about when would it be available and whether would it include Mac Silicon support or not?

Best Regards,
Darshan
Overdue9292

Postby grb » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:15 am

Overdue9292, I am in the same situation. To solve it, I purchased a used Mac laptop from Macsales.com. I ended up with an early 2015 13” MacBook Air. It was ~$140. You can check what’s in inventory, or try to find someone local selling an old MacBook. The one I got from macsales was in excellent condition.

Easiest way I could find to solve the problem.

They have this one for $99 right now… https://eshop.macsales.com/configure-my ... DS2XXXXXXC

Good luck.

-gbeck

Overdue9292 wrote:Hi Xavier,
I recently came across your website and the invaluable tool you have created for eclipse enthusiasts, much appreciate it. I am planning to use your tool during the 2024 Eclipse, but the issue is I have a Mac M1 machine, and as I understand it isn't supported yet. I tried exploring some virtualization solutions as well and then got to know that Apple Silicon machines can't run any intel-based previous MacOS even on a VM.

I see that under Product History you mentioned that a major release is planned for 2024. Could you please share more details on this about when would it be available and whether would it include Mac Silicon support or not?

Best Regards,
Darshan
grb

Postby Overdue9292 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:38 am

Hi gbeck,
Thanks for the information, especially the website. I couldn't imagine that used ones could be available for so cheap. I see it's available again for $89 right now in Good condition.

I started exploring the libgphoto2 library package which runs on the M1 Mac command line. I know this isn't an ideal replacement for SEM, but since my requirements for eclipse photography are basic I will continue exploring this library and build my script. I am also hoping that this will help me do some other remote photography automation eventually. if anything goes wrong with my plan, I will buy an older machine.

Thanks again, and happy shooting.

-
Darshan

grb wrote:Overdue9292, I am in the same situation. To solve it, I purchased a used Mac laptop from Macsales.com. I ended up with an early 2015 13” MacBook Air. It was ~$140. You can check what’s in inventory, or try to find someone local selling an old MacBook. The one I got from macsales was in excellent condition.

Easiest way I could find to solve the problem.

They have this one for $99 right now… https://eshop.macsales.com/configure-my ... DS2XXXXXXC

Good luck.

-gbeck
Overdue9292

Return to Mercury Venus Transit Maestro Scripts