Camera won't fire [Case Solved]

Support for the Solar Eclipse Maestro photography software.

Camera won't fire [Case Solved]

Postby Chaser » Sun May 13, 2012 1:55 am

OK, I have my Canon 7D hooked up via the usb cable and the program recognizes it as a 5D. Not a biggie, I changed it to 7D and clicked OK. When I reopened the hardware config, it was back to 5D. Mmmmm.

I tried a test fire and it's OK via the manual setting (but doesn't change the exposures).

I looked under the camera tab and the camera controls (push shutter, single exposure, etc.) are greyed out.

Running a test script doesn't trigger the camera either.

I'm puzzled.

Clear Skies
Charlie
Chaser

Re: Camera won't fire

Postby xjubier » Sun May 13, 2012 11:52 am

Chaser wrote:I'm puzzled.

I'm too! Which version of SEM are you using?

Which camera model is reported in the "Camera references…" item from the "Setup" menu?

Which USB productID is displayed when you select "Properties Analysis…" from the "Camera" menu?
xjubier
Site Admin

Postby Chaser » Sun May 13, 2012 12:02 pm

I got it working (somehow) when I upgraded last night, but it was too late to run the script. This morning I have the same problem.

V1.80 (100) - updated yesterday
Canon EOS 7D reported in Camera References List
USB Product ID: 0x319a

I thought that it may have been the sequence of powering up that changed things last night - camera first then SEM, or SEM then camera on - but neither sequence works this morning.

Clear Skies
Charlie
Chaser

Postby Chaser » Sun May 13, 2012 12:12 pm

A few other odd things.

The Camera Properties Analysis mentions "Nikon object added". Not sure why.
Events
0x4009 -> 'request object transfer'
0x4004 -> 'store added'
0x4005 -> 'store removed'
0x4003 -> 'object removed'
0x4002 -> 'object added'
0x4007 -> 'object info changed'
0xC101 -> 'Nikon object added'

The same file mentions PTP, with some parameters identified. I don't have an option that I can find on the 7D to select PTP or PC connection.

Also, the Hardware Configuration always identifies the camera as a 5D, even though I reset it to 7D.

I'm not really sure what goes on under the hood, but these seem inconsistent.

Charlie
Chaser

Postby Chaser » Sun May 13, 2012 12:16 pm

More info. The Camera functions (Push Shutter, etc.) grey out when I load a script, but are active when no script is loaded.

Camera reference in the script is "7D", same as the name in the hardware configuration. No hidden spaces that I can see.

Charlie
Chaser

Postby xjubier » Sun May 13, 2012 5:19 pm

Chaser wrote:I got it working (somehow) when I upgraded last night, but it was too late to run the script. This morning I have the same problem.

Make sure you turn off Camera Detection in every other applications such as Image Capture, Nikon Transfer, Graphic Converter, etc. If you don’t, those applications will launch, sometimes in the background, when you connect a camera. If you have installed Canon applications, then ensure in Image Capture that No application is selected following a camera connection, as the Canon applications have no setting to turn them off; if you don’t those will launch automatically when a camera is connected, hence blocking Solar Eclipse Maestro.
See Automatic Camera Detection
Whenever you have such problem check the connection and have a look at the log file: in the "Window" menu select "Solar Eclipse Maestro Log".

Chaser wrote:Canon EOS 7D reported in Camera References List
USB Product ID: 0x319a

That’s correct.

Chaser wrote:The Camera Properties Analysis mentions "Nikon object added". Not sure why.

Events
0xC101 -> 'Nikon object added'

Because Canon and Nikon share some property codes. I will fix this message to one corresponding to Canon’s code when it’s a Canon camera.

Chaser wrote:The same file mentions PTP, with some parameters identified. I don't have an option that I can find on the 7D to select PTP or PC connection.

The camera automatically selects the correct mode. The switch was available on older cameras.

Chaser wrote:Also, the Hardware Configuration always identifies the camera as a 5D, even though I reset it to 7D.

Not a real problem, just the display that isn't correct. It will be fixed in the next release.

Chaser wrote:More info. The Camera functions (Push Shutter, etc.) grey out when I load a script, but are active when no script is loaded.

"Push shutter" and Single exposure with Settings…" are indeed disabled when a script is loaded/running.

Have also a look in the "Preferences" window at the setting "DSLR auto-locking controls when running a script". When a script is running you can choose to lock any manual actions to avoid messing up with the script actions.
And "Allow Live View when running a script" is another setting to take into account.

Chaser wrote:Camera reference in the script is "7D", same as the name in the hardware configuration. No hidden spaces that I can see.

That’s fine, but you can use any name with Roman characters.
xjubier
Site Admin

Postby Chaser » Sun May 13, 2012 6:55 pm

OK. So most of the things look alright.

I didn't know about the log file. I've had a look at it and nothing stands out as a problem. It's just recording startups and shutdowns and seems to recognize the camera.

It is still not working, which is rather frustrating. It all looks fine as far as I can tell (which means it's something simple that I'm overlooking).

Would it help if I posted a script and the log? Or emailed them? Let me know if this is taking too much time from you - I've got a back up intervalometer I can use, but it's not nearly in the same class as SEM.

Clear Skies
Charlie
Chaser

Postby xjubier » Sun May 13, 2012 7:36 pm

Chaser wrote:OK. So most of the things look alright.

I didn't know about the log file. I've had a look at it and nothing stands out as a problem. It's just recording startups and shutdowns and seems to recognize the camera.

It is still not working, which is rather frustrating. It all looks fine as far as I can tell (which means it's something simple that I'm overlooking).

Would it help if I posted a script and the log? Or emailed them? Let me know if this is taking too much time from you - I've got a back up intervalometer I can use, but it's not nearly in the same class as SEM.

Make sure you turn off Camera Detection in every other applications such as Image Capture, Nikon Transfer, Graphic Converter, etc. If you don’t, those applications will launch, sometimes in the background, when you connect a camera. If you have installed Canon applications, then ensure in Image Capture that "No application" is selected following a camera connection, as the Canon applications have no setting to turn them off; if you don’t those will launch automatically when a camera is connected, hence blocking Solar Eclipse Maestro.
See Automatic Camera Detection.

There is no good reason why it wouldn't work as many other users are using Canon cameras and the 7D is the best of its class.
xjubier
Site Admin

Postby Chaser » Sun May 13, 2012 10:01 pm

Thanks Xavier. I'm quite embarrassed. I found the problem and it's the usual thing - PEBCAK (problem exists between chair and keyboard).

When I set the simulated time I set it for the correct universal time for the eclipse start and the date at 20 May (because that's when the eclipse will be). When I set the simulated time to C1, the camera started clicking away because SEM knew that the eclipse date (in UT) was 21 May.

Many apologies for wasting your time and many thanks for your help with my non-problem. ;-(

I think I'm all set now for the eclipse. Perhaps I'll see you there - Plan A is Horseshoe Bend, Plan B is Antelope Point, Plan C is the scenic lookout in Page, Plan D is somewhere else (if we need to find somewhere else). Which plan I use will depend on the crowds. I'll be the guy with the TMB scope and the Astrotrac travel pier (and Tilley Hat). ;-)

Thanks again.

Clear Skies
Charlie
Chaser

Postby xjubier » Sun May 13, 2012 11:00 pm

Great you got it working.

I should be around page if the weather is good enough, so there is a good chance we meet there. Horseshoe Band was a potential location for me but I think it will be to crowded, so I may well choose a location around Lake Powell were a 4WD is required.

You can send me your cell number on my regular e-mail address and I'll send you an SMS once I arrive in Page.
xjubier
Site Admin

Return to Solar Eclipse Maestro