Garmin GPS [Solved Case]

Support for the Solar Eclipse Maestro photography software.

Garmin GPS [Solved Case]

Postby astrokiwi » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:31 am

Hi Xavier,

I've just started playing around with connecting a GPS. I'm using a Garmin GPS 60, USB connection, SEM 1.6.4. On starting up Solar Eclipse Maestro the Garmin immediately reports that a connection is established, but SEM reports no connection in the Hardware Configuration Dialogue. Is there something else I need to be doing in SEM to establish a connection, or is my Garmin one of those obscure little units that does things differently?

Cheers,

Stephen
astrokiwi

Re: Garmin GPS

Postby xjubier » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:18 am

Hi Stephen,

I am using a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx, so you shouldn't have any problem with your unit.

However, please make sure the GPS unit is using the GARMIN protocol as the data output format. To check/set this setting, go to the Interface Setup and select GARMIN. Then you should be fine.

In the About box, check also that you are indeed using Solar Eclipse 1.6.4 or newer as there were problems with GPS units in all previous releases.

Users are urged to update to the latest SEM release as it fixes a handful of bugs on cameras and GPSes.
SEM 1.6.5 and newer releases further improves the GPS support and handles GPS units that don't really/strictly follow the Garmin interface specifications.
xjubier
Site Admin

Return to Solar Eclipse Maestro