Various Z7 issues

Support for the Solar Eclipse Maestro photography software.

Various Z7 issues

Postby sgrenald1 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:31 pm

Hey All! After a screwup back in 2017, I wanted to get on it early this time. Of course life got in the way, and I just started back with SEM. I took the "deluxe" script (from 2008) and just did a name update. Hooked up my Z7 and let it run. I figure to start with, I can see if my batteries (both 2012 MBA and Z7) could handle it. So here are my two main issues...

The Deluxe script has around 144 TAKEPIC commands. I'm getting over 300 shots when the camera is done. Something like 327. Is that the FOR loop? I'm about to start editing the script from the default, so that might clear up the number of shots issue. I think SEM says there are 344 "events" in the script.

The most concerning issue is that it takes a while before the MacBook actually starts controlling the camera. When I run a simulation, it always runs past the first 10 or so steps before the camera switches to "PC Mode" and starts taking photos.

Any help would be appreciated!
sgrenald1

Re: Various Z7 issues

Postby gcargile » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:12 pm

I'm not sure about the other issues, but in a youtube presentation by Xavier a couple of months ago ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLHfURDO1YY ), he stated SEM will regognize the camera faster if you use an empty memory card. Delete all pics or format your card, and camrea will switch to "PC Mode" almost as soon as it's connected. I can verify that this makes a huge difference.

Also, if you haven't done it already, upgrade to the v1.9.2 beta shared at [ viewtopic.php?f=13&t=335#p991 ]. It's not perfect, but it resolved many issues I was having with my Z8. Most importantly (for me at least) it re-enables the ability to capture in RAW.

Cheers!
-Gerry
gcargile

Postby sgrenald1 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:11 pm

Thanks, Jerry! I'll try clearing off the card. It's a 512gb CfExpress that was about 80% full (I still have my Africa pix from 2022 on it!).

It kind of seems like I need to "prime the pump" to get it to run the camera. So when I ran the script, as I said, it didn't start taking pix right away. But when I stopped it mid-stream (the deluxe script runs for several hours, since it starts just before C1 and ends shortly after C4) and then restarted it, it was shooting immediately.

It WAS capturing RAW though. I saw some other comments here about people with Z7ii's who were getting JPGs even though they set the camera for RAW. But I'll check 1.9.2!
sgrenald1

Postby sgrenald1 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:13 pm

I'm not saying that clearing the card worked, or that using 1.9.2 made the difference, but everything seems to be working fine, now.

(the first time I hooked up the camera to 1.9.2, it fired off the first 2-3 shots, and then "released" the camera for the subsequent pix)

I still don't know why it's shooting about 2x the number of TAKEPICs that are in the script, though.
sgrenald1

Postby sgrenald1 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:46 pm

And...now I know why it was taking all of those other pictures. Because I can't read (also known as an ID10T or "chair-keyboard interface" issue). The Deluxe script runs about 100 shots of the partial between C1 & C2 and another 100 between C3 & C4 with this loop:

FOR,(VAR),0,1,99
TAKEPIC,MAGPRE (VAR),+,00:00.0,Z7,1/250,11.0,100,0.0,RAW,None,Y,Partial
TAKEPIC,MAGPOST (VAR),+,00:00.0,Z7,1/250,11.0,100,0.0,RAW,None,Y,Partial
ENDFOR

:)

I still don't know why the Z7 was glitching before, but I've run about a dozen tests over the last few days, and the camera is behaving properly. Now I just have to hope that I set my SkyGuider Pro properly on the 8th. And that we have clear skies...
sgrenald1

Return to Solar Eclipse Maestro