Thanks and feature request

Support for the Solar Eclipse Maestro photography software.

Thanks and feature request

Postby whwang » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:31 pm

Hi,

I would like to thank you for producing SEM. The Aug 21 eclipse is the first total eclipse for me. Thanks to SEM, I can fully focus on viewing the eclipse with my eyes and let SEM do the imaging. The pictures I took are by no means outstanding, but I am very glad I can have them.

My feature request is to support more cameras, especially mirrorless cameras with electronic shutters. They have the potential of providing high-quality eclipse photos. I am already thinking about what I might use for the next eclipse. Candidates include the Sony A7x series, Fuji GFX-50S, Pentax 645z (this one I already have), and the latest DSLRs from Nikon and Canon. When I make a decision, whether or not the camera is supported by SEM will be a big factor. It will be great if the SEM supported cameras can expand beyond the current list.

For those who are interested, you can see my eclipse photos using this link:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/weihaowan ... ateposted/
You can use the left-pointing arrow to browse through them.

Cheers,
Wei-Hao
whwang

Re: Thanks and feature request

Postby xjubier » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:05 pm

whwang wrote:My feature request is to support more cameras, especially mirrorless cameras with electronic shutters. They have the potential of providing high-quality eclipse photos.

On newer Nikon and Canon DSLRs SEM can already keep the mirror locked-up and operate the electronic front-curtain shutter to minimize any vibrations: among the supported models you can find the Nikon D5, D850, D810, D500 or Canon 5DSr, 5DmkIV, 6DmkII, 80D, etc.

whwang wrote:I am already thinking about what I might use for the next eclipse. Candidates include the Sony A7x series, Fuji GFX-50S, Pentax 645z (this one I already have), and the latest DSLRs from Nikon and Canon. When I make a decision, whether or not the camera is supported by SEM will be a big factor. It will be great if the SEM supported cameras can expand beyond the current list.

I always try to expand the list of supported cameras beyond the current list of Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, Ricoh cameras. However this is an extremely difficult task as most manufacturers don't provide any sufficient technical documentation or SDK to handle tethering. Moreover having physical access to those cameras is mandatory and as you can imagine I don't own or have access to all these cameras which doesn't help. This is also where having most users making a substantial donation can help greatly, unfortunately far too many users don't even make any donation!

I did look into adding the Sony cameras but unfortunately their tethering implementation is not standard at all, moreover no such technical documentation exists, so having physical access to at least one of those cameras for a couple of months is mandatory.
I think adding support for the Fuji GFX 50S, especially the basic functionalities such as exposure settings and remote capture, should be possible; that said I would need to have at least one user ready to do some testing for me or else have direct access to this camera.
For your Pentax 645Z I guess I can give it a try with your help.

whwang wrote:For those who are interested, you can see my eclipse photos using this link:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/weihaowan ... ateposted/

Very nice, particularly the corona composite.
xjubier
Site Admin

Return to Solar Eclipse Maestro