Specify Exposure Times to 0.01 sec Precision?

Support for the Solar Eclipse Maestro photography software.

Specify Exposure Times to 0.01 sec Precision?

Postby banjo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:38 am

Can exposure times be specified to 0.01 sec precision? Configuration wizard calculates to the nearest 0.1 sec, but can I enter times to 0.01 sec precision manually?

My Canon 6D can record 4.5 fps when very short exposure times are used. This speed is limited by the cycle speed of the mechanical shutter. I would like to add 0.25s to each exposure time to determine the time of the next exposure. I will have to be careful to interleave short and long exposures to avoid filling my camera buffer.

=========

I have a question about Mirror Lockup. I will be controlling my Canon 6D and focusing using LiveView over a USB cable. As soon as I turn on LiveView, the 6D's mirror locks up, so if I am in LiveView and run my script does the "N" get ignored on the first line below generated by the Configuration Wizard?

TAKEPIC,MAX,-,00:55.1,6D,1/1000,5.0,100,0.000,RAW,None,N,Solar corona Rs = 0.1
TAKEPIC,MAX,-,00:54.9,6D,1/500,5.0,100,0.000,RAW,None,Y,Solar corona Rs = 0.1
TAKEPIC,MAX,-,00:54.7,6D,1/250,5.0,100,0.000,RAW,None,Y,Solar corona Rs = 0.2
TAKEPIC,MAX,-,00:54.5,6D,1/125,5.0,100,0.000,RAW,None,Y,Solar corona Rs = 0.2

=========

What is the typical latency, if any for a command to be sent from my Mac to my camera by USB cable?

=========

If I terminate my main eclipse script, say after C3 to run a separate calibration script, and then restart my main eclipse script, will SEM loose it's mind, or will SEM know to ignore the totality events and just resume the remaining exposures?

=========

Is there any way to tell SEM that my telescope F/number is 5.3, i.e. not one of the usual values?

=========

Is there any way SEM can specify to my Canon that it use its meter to gauge the proper exposure automatically during my flats with a white shirt/screen draped over the front of my Telescope? Or would I have to manually flip the round dial on top of my camera to Automatic? Can SEM work with the camera in Automatic mode, or will an error be thrown?

Thanks!
Joe
banjo

Re: Specify Exposure Times to 0.01 sec Precision?

Postby xjubier » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:34 pm

banjo wrote:Can exposure times be specified to 0.01 sec precision? Configuration wizard calculates to the nearest 0.1 sec, but can I enter times to 0.01 sec precision manually?

Yes, 1/1000 or 0.001 is of course accepted.

banjo wrote:My Canon 6D can record 4.5 fps when very short exposure times are used. This speed is limited by the cycle speed of the mechanical shutter. I would like to add 0.25s to each exposure time to determine the time of the next exposure. I will have to be careful to interleave short and long exposures to avoid filling my camera buffer.

=========

I have a question about Mirror Lockup. I will be controlling my Canon 6D and focusing using LiveView over a USB cable. As soon as I turn on LiveView, the 6D's mirror locks up, so if I am in LiveView and run my script does the "N" get ignored on the first line below generated by the Configuration Wizard?

TAKEPIC,MAX,-,00:55.1,6D,1/1000,5.0,100,0.000,RAW,None,N,Solar corona Rs = 0.1
TAKEPIC,MAX,-,00:54.9,6D,1/500,5.0,100,0.000,RAW,None,Y,Solar corona Rs = 0.1
TAKEPIC,MAX,-,00:54.7,6D,1/250,5.0,100,0.000,RAW,None,Y,Solar corona Rs = 0.2
TAKEPIC,MAX,-,00:54.5,6D,1/125,5.0,100,0.000,RAW,None,Y,Solar corona Rs = 0.2

=========

The 'N' is for non-incremental exposure, nothing to do with mirror lock-up.

banjo wrote:What is the typical latency, if any for a command to be sent from my Mac to my camera by USB cable?

The issue is not the USB latency but the limitations imposed by Canon and Nikon when shooting tethered. As a result faster cameras with faster memory cards do much better, the 6D being mid-range.
To go faster a DSUSB (Shoestring Astronomy) USB shutter control cable need to be used in parallel with the regular USB cable for exposure settings. Using exposure ramps is also a good and reliable solution: RAMPUP, RAMPDN and/or RAMPSUD.

banjo wrote:=========

If I terminate my main eclipse script, say after C3 to run a separate calibration script, and then restart my main eclipse script, will SEM loose it's mind, or will SEM know to ignore the totality events and just resume the remaining exposures?

SEM will resume at the next scheduled action. You can integrate everything in one single script.

Is there any way to tell SEM that my telescope F/number is 5.3, i.e. not one of the usual values?

Not really, you can always type 5.3 as the aperture value for the exposure setting but the nearest 'valid' camera value will be used, that is likely 5.0. It doesn't matter much.

Is there any way SEM can specify to my Canon that it use its meter to gauge the proper exposure automatically during my flats with a white shirt/screen draped over the front of my Telescope? Or would I have to manually flip the round dial on top of my camera to Automatic? Can SEM work with the camera in Automatic mode, or will an error be thrown?

You can try to switch the exposure mode with EXPMODP but do note the restriction mentioned there.
xjubier
Site Admin

Return to Solar Eclipse Maestro