Script questions

Support for the Solar Eclipse Maestro photography software.

Script questions

Postby SuOneil » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:12 pm

Please bear with me. I am not a computer programmer and am struggling with your program, as I don’t understand all the terminology. I greatly appreciate your help… some questions…
1) After I load a script I don’t see all the details that are in the lines of my txt file script. For example: PLAY voice prompts don’t all show up in the loaded version. Are they there or did the script not load properly?
2) Some friends use the FOR, (INTERVALOMETER) loop…… Is this software built into your program? Does this require internal Nikon or Canon intervalometer settings by me?
3) I have been given several scripts for Canon cameras from friends who are using your program for the upcoming eclipse. I have “searched and replaced” my Nikon D810 in the camera configuration. Is that all I have to do?
4) I see an error message “The 25% ratio of non incremental (N) over regular exposures (Y) is unnecessarily too high. It should be 10% at the most….”
Is this problem related to my just changing the camera from a Canon to my Nikon D810 in the txt script file I have been given? How do I fix the ratio?
SuOneil

Re: Script questions

Postby xjubier » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:08 pm

1) Lines beginning with a hashtag character # are comments and those lines are not displayed.

2) The FOR, (INTERVALOMETER) loop syntax is to help you execute many actions in a timely and efficient way. You can read the details there.

3) More or less yes, but you may need to make some adjustments. Giving a short name is better, for example D810 is good while Nikon D810 is bad...

4) You have two types of exposure settings: incremental or non-incremental. With the incremental only the exposure settings that have changed since the previous exposure are pushed to the camera, which is faster to execute than the non-incremental where all the exposure settings are updated (slower). Non-incremental is useful to sort of make sure all the settings are correct at one point, so you can begin with the first exposure as non-incremental and then use only incremental. Then just before totality, 2nd contact or C2, just put one more non-incremental to again make sure all the settings are pushed for the most important phase of the eclipse, totality.
So to get rid of this warning message just change some non-incremental exposures to incremental.
xjubier
Site Admin

Postby SuOneil » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:36 pm

Thank you for your quick response!!!!
I asked...
1) After I load a script I don’t see all the details that are in the lines of my txt file script. For example: PLAY voice prompts don’t all show up in the loaded version. Are they there or did the script not load properly?

You replied "Lines beginning with a hashtag character # are comments and those lines are not displayed." I understand this. These lines of script do not begin with a #. They are in the script but I do not see them in the loaded program. Specifically is it all of the PLAY voice prompts.

3) I have been given several scripts for Canon cameras from friends who are using your program for the upcoming eclipse. I have “searched and replaced” my Nikon D810 in the camera configuration. Is that all I have to do?

You replied: "More or less yes, but you may need to make some adjustments."

What adjustments "More or less" do I need to be concerned about. I did name my camera "D810". I just used the full name Nikon D810 in my email to you.

Thank you for your help and advice.
Susan
SuOneil

Postby SuOneil » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:56 pm

Also... I have been trying to get through the Configuration Wizard...

Under Phenomena most of the phenomena are "greyed out' and I cannot select them. The only ones available to me are
Uneclipsed Sun with full aperture filter
First (C1) and fourth (C4) contacts
Partial phases, every 2.0 %of magnitude

The follow are greyed out and cannot be selected...Why?
Diamond Ring
Baily's Beads
Flash spectrum using diffreaction grating
Chromosphere
Prominences
Solar Corona, every 1 stops
Earthshire, stars

Thanks,
Susan
SuOneil

Postby xjubier » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:03 am

Because the observer's location you have inputed is outside of the eclipse path: first choose a location that is inside to eclipse path so that the specific phenomena are available.
xjubier
Site Admin

Return to Solar Eclipse Maestro