Nikon D610 very slow [Case Solved]

Support for the Solar Eclipse Maestro photography software.

Re: Nikon D610 very slow

Postby lmarchesi » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:36 pm

Weird. I thought I posted this last night ...

The beta seems to be working well. The only oddity is that it works without skipping any frames when the lens cap is on. With it is off it skips one frame.

I generated a new script using 3.1 seconds between exposures (rather than 3.0) and that seemed to fix it. The skipped frame was one of the max eclipse earthshine exposures, but, I had also edited the script to add 0.3s MLU.

Here is the script excerpt. The camera has not finished with the 4s exposure when it tries to do the first of the 6s exposures. Seems that giving it a bit more time worked but I'm curious why it works with the lens cap on. I tried a faster SD card and that did not help.

TAKEPIC,MAX,-,00:16.0,D610A,4,7.1,100,0.3,RAW,None,Y,Solar corona Rs = 8.0

# at maximum eclipse, take two 6-second exposures for Earthshine and stars
FOR,(INTERVALOMETER),1,9.000,2
TAKEPIC,MAX,-,00:09.0,D610A,6,7.1,100,0.3,RAW,None,N,Earthshine and Stars
ENDFOR

# Corona
TAKEPIC,MAX,+,00:09.0,D610A,4,7.1,100,0.3,RAW,None,Y,Solar corona Rs = 8.0

Thanks once again for the update!
lmarchesi

Re: Nikon D610 very slow

Postby xjubier » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:14 pm

lmarchesi wrote:The beta seems to be working well. The only oddity is that it works without skipping any frames when the lens cap is on. With it is off it skips one frame.

A dark image take less processing time by the camera, that is most likely the reason. So when you test point the camera to a light bulb for example, removing the cap of course...

For Earthshine do increase the ISO to say 400 or 800 in order to reduce the exposure time. You make up time and having more noise in the image is not an issue.

Here is the script excerpt. The camera has not finished with the 4s exposure when it tries to do the first of the 6s exposures. Seems that giving it a bit more time worked but I'm curious why it works with the lens cap on. I tried a faster SD card and that did not help.

The D610 is not a fast camera. The D5 or D500 are, even the D810 is way faster than the D610.
xjubier
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Solar Eclipse Maestro