Canon file save format issue

Support for the Solar Eclipse Maestro photography software.

Canon file save format issue

Postby jgoldader » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:43 pm

Hello,
I'm a new user, getting ready for 21 August. I just ran a full-up test starting at C2 -10 minutes. All looked good, except I have a file format issue. I set most of the images as RAW format, but stuck a few JPG-F in the list. The ones I wanted to be saved as RAW were saved correctly (file type .CR2), but the ones I wanted saved as JPG were also saved as RAW. Here is one of the lines from the script:

TAKEPIC,C2,+,00:55.0,RebelT3i,1/500,6.3,100,0.3,JPG-F,None,N,Prominences JPG

I marked the image as non-incremental, because it changes more than one thing from the previous image.

SEM version is 1.8.5v1. Camera is Canon 600D (Rebel T3i) on a MacBook using Sierra 10.12.3.

Checking the camera properties in SEM makes it appear that JPG-F is allowed for canons. Do I need to set the image size ("None" in the script) to LARGE? From the documentation, I thought that was ignored.

If the answer is, "Just save them all as RAW," I will. Saving the JPGs was redundant, but I would like to understand why saving the JPGs isn't working.

Thanks for your help!
jgoldader

Re: Canon file save format issue

Postby xjubier » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:25 pm

jgoldader wrote:MacBook using Sierra 10.12.3.

Although it isn't the solution to your minor issue, I'd recommend you update to 10.12.6.

jgoldader wrote:All looked good, except I have a file format issue. I set most of the images as RAW format, but stuck a few JPG-F in the list. The ones I wanted to be saved as RAW were saved correctly (file type .CR2), but the ones I wanted saved as JPG were also saved as RAW. Here is one of the lines from the script:
TAKEPIC,C2,+,00:55.0,RebelT3i,1/500,6.3,100,0.3,JPG-F,None,N,Prominences JPG

The syntax looks correct. Did you check SEM's log ('Window' menu and then select 'Solar Eclipse Maestro Log'). When you have an issue you should always check there because there is likely a trace that can help understand what's wrong.
xjubier
Site Admin

Postby jgoldader » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:54 pm

I'll update the OS, thanks; had been holding off in case they broke SEM compatibility.

I checked the log, and the software said, "Image quality Canon camera #1 not set to JPEG-FINE" for each of the attempts to save as JPG. There were also error messages about not being able to set the aperture, but since the camera is using a T-adapter, those were expected.

Jeff
jgoldader

Postby xjubier » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:24 pm

jgoldader wrote:Image quality Canon camera #1 not set to JPEG-FINE

Is it the complete message, there should be an error code/description.
xjubier
Site Admin

Return to Solar Eclipse Maestro