Several issues with SEM & Nikon cameras [Case Solved]

Support for the Solar Eclipse Maestro photography software.

Several issues with SEM & Nikon cameras [Case Solved]

Postby JJK » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:40 am

Hi Xavier,

SEM is a great program. Thank you for all your effort thus far!

We've had several issues with different Nikon cameras on my 2011 15" MacBook Pro (16GB RAM, 2.2 GHz processor, running OS X Yosemite 10.10.5). These include:

1. we could see two cameras connected (e.g., D800 and a D70), but could only fire one of them (i.e., D800),
2. SEM could not activate Live View in the D800,
3. the program crashed when we tried to Quit it, and
4. the program could see a D200 but could not FIRE the shutter (the camera's battery is at 44 %).

Finally, when asking SEM to LOAD a script, the screen shows a beach ball for ~ 5 seconds. Ditto when you ask it actually load the txt file (which it eventually did).

Clear Skies,
John

EDIT
I just tried SEM on a 2006 vintage MacBook Pro and it could see & FIRE the D70, but could not even see the D200. FWIW, the CF card in the D200 has a bunch of images on it (but it's a large capacity unit).
JJK

Re: Several issues with SEM & Nikon cameras

Postby xjubier » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:30 am

JJK wrote:1. we could see two cameras connected (e.g., D800 and a D70), but could only fire one of them (i.e., D800),
2. SEM could not activate Live View in the D800,
3. the program crashed when we tried to Quit it, and
4. the program could see a D200 but could not FIRE the shutter (the camera's battery is at 44 %).

Finally, when asking SEM to LOAD a script, the screen shows a beach ball for ~ 5 seconds. Ditto when you ask it actually load the txt file (which it eventually did).

EDIT
I just tried SEM on a 2006 vintage MacBook Pro and it could see & FIRE the D70, but could not even see the D200. FWIW, the CF card in the D200 has a bunch of images on it (but it's a large capacity unit).

To investigate and fix your issues could you provide me by e-mail the SEM log and also the crash log file. See http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/Solar_Eclipse_Maestro_Help/pgs2/btoc8.html

JJK wrote:I just tried SEM on a 2006 vintage MacBook Pro and it could see & FIRE the D70, but could not even see the D200. FWIW, the CF card in the D200 has a bunch of images on it (but it's a large capacity unit).

When you connect a camera having a memory card with lots of pictures on it, then it will take quite a while for the camera to be identified as the OS first reads all the images (unfortunately there is no way I can turn off this OS "feature"). So this means that on your D200 it can easily take a couple of tens of seconds and maybe even well over a minute.
Moreover it is always best to insert an empty or nearly empty memory card. Even better when the card has been recently formatted.
xjubier
Site Admin

Return to Solar Eclipse Maestro