Wiring a Garmin GPS18-LVC [Case Solved]

Support for the Solar Eclipse Maestro photography software.

Wiring a Garmin GPS18-LVC [Case Solved]

Postby SFGagnon » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:41 am

Helllo Xavier,

The documentation states that a 'specially cabled Garmin GPS18-LVC' can be used for more accurate timing. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find how the device should be cabled. Any hints/pointers you could provide would be most appreciated!

Thanks!
SFGagnon

Re: Wiring a Garmin GPS18-LVC

Postby xjubier » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:10 pm

You have to use a serial to USB adapter and a special cable.
Unfortunately supporting this feature across the various OS X releases for the past 8 years has been difficult and the time sync that can be obtained with an 18x USB unit is usually sufficient for most if not all users.

Do you have any specific need of time accuracy that would justify such a configuration?
xjubier
Site Admin

Postby SFGagnon » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:02 am

No, not really. Just figured that, since I was going to be buying a unit for this, I might as well buy the one that would make things as accurate as possible (since there's no price difference in the GPS18 variants). I'm happy to go with the 18x USB if that's what you recommend.

Thanks for the reply!
SFGagnon

Postby xjubier » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:17 pm

SFGagnon wrote:No, not really. Just figured that, since I was going to be buying a unit for this, I might as well buy the one that would make things as accurate as possible (since there's no price difference in the GPS18 variants). I'm happy to go with the 18x USB if that's what you recommend.

The inexpensive puck-like 18x USB is your best choice.
Just plug it and it works, no need for extra cables, adapters, batteries, no display that can break, supports the heat/cold/rain/snow, easy to carry, etc.

More about the supported GPS units.
xjubier
Site Admin

Return to Solar Eclipse Maestro