Cameras other than Nikon/Canon/SBIG?

Support for the Solar Eclipse Maestro photography software.

Cameras other than Nikon/Canon/SBIG?

Postby Archer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:29 pm

This program looks really amazing, but I have a need to control something that is not in the CaNikon family. Is there a way to do this?
Archer

Re: Cameras other than Nikon/Canon/SBIG?

Postby xjubier » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:46 am

Which equipment?
xjubier
Site Admin

Postby Archer » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:15 am

Does SEM use libgphoto2, by any chance?
Archer

Postby xjubier » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:28 am

Does SEM use libgphoto2, by any chance?

No it doesn't.

I will have a look and see what can be done to support Olympus DSLRs. My problem is also that I don't own any such camera so it is next to impossible to make it work properly...
xjubier
Site Admin

Postby Archer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:04 pm

I have access to a camera, and there was a time when I was considered quite good at such tasks. Let me know if there's any way I can help.
Archer

Postby derekkuhl » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:53 pm

How about control of Sony cameras? The sensor on the Sony a7RII is quite amazing and would be excellent at the dynamic range required for eclipse photography. I do not think any other application can control the Sony.

I am gearing up for the August 2017 eclipse and I was contemplating on purchasing a Sony camera for the event. However, the inability to control the camera externally is making me pause. Do you have any thoughts on this? If external control of Sony is impossible, I may have to rent a D810 for the event.

I am generally a Canon user, but the presence of the anti aliasing filter in all but the D5S R is making me look outside Canon for more resolution. Fro high resolution photography, it seems like Canon is falling a bit behind.

Thanks
Derek Kuhl
derekkuhl

Postby xjubier » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:15 am

derekkuhl wrote:How about control of Sony cameras? The sensor on the Sony a7RII is quite amazing and would be excellent at the dynamic range required for eclipse photography. I do not think any other application can control the Sony.

Sony does provide an API over WiFi, however this API does have many limitations and I have to say that a connexion through USB is desired. Unfortunately Sony doesn't provide their API over USB and Sony doesn't support the PTP world standard as Canon and Nikon do...

derekkuhl wrote:If external control of Sony is impossible, I may have to rent a D810 for the event.

I am generally a Canon user, but the presence of the anti aliasing filter in all but the D5S R is making me look outside Canon for more resolution.

This would be your safest bet, either the 5DsR or D810 and that way you can delay any purchase.
xjubier
Site Admin

Postby derekkuhl » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:51 am

Thank you Xavier. It is a shame about Sony. That is probably why there are few other applications for Sony also. Now I just have to get my hands on a MacBook that is not running Sierra.
Best regards
Derek
derekkuhl

Postby xjubier » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:04 pm

derekkuhl wrote:Now I just have to get my hands on a MacBook that is not running Sierra.

The latest SEM release does work with Sierra (with version 10.12.4 Apple did fix lots of bugs even if they kept the undocumented change of behavior introduced with Sierra).
And the coming minor release, end of May to mid-June, will further improve the support of Sierra to bring it to the level of older OSes.
xjubier
Site Admin

Return to Solar Eclipse Maestro