Problems recording video with Canon 70D [Case Solved]

Support for the Solar Eclipse Maestro photography software.

Problems recording video with Canon 70D [Case Solved]

Postby SFGagnon » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:57 pm

Greetings,

I'm writing preliminary scripts for the 2017 eclipse and I'm having trouble getting video recording to work with a Canon 70D. I'm using a very minimal script to test video recording:

MREC,C2,-,00:10.0,70D-2, , , , , , , ,Start movie recording
MSTOP,C2,+,00:10.0,70D-2, , , , , , , ,Stop movie recording

When the live view switch is set to 'still photos,' the issuing of the MREC command brings up a live view window, but a recording does not start. Physically pressing the live view start/stop button stops the live view. If the stop/start button isn't pressed, nothing happens when MSTOP command is issued (live view remains on).

If the live view switch is set to 'video,' the issuing of the MREC command does not start a recording.

If the live view switch is set to 'video,' and I manually start a recording by pressing the start/stop button, then MSTOP does stop the recording.

I am using version 10.10.5 of OS X, version 1.8.4 (100) of SEM, and firmware version 1.1.1 on the 70D.

Please let me know if there are any other settings/combinations you would like me to try.

Thanks!
SFGagnon

Re: Problems recording video with Canon 70D

Postby xjubier » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:20 pm

This feature has always been tricky to operate.
First it appears it can't work when Wi-Fi is activated. Don't ask me why but I know it's specified by Canon in their manual, so you have to make sure Wi-Fi is disabled.
Then set the Live View switch to 'video'. Also in the camera's menu there should be an option somewhere named "Live View shooting", I think it should be enabled but I'm not sure it's necessary.
Also do check that the mode dial is set on Manual (M).
Last make sure there is a memory card inserted.

As there may be some interesting messages in it, can you send me a copy of your log file (just email me the whole file). See there
http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/so ... btoc8.html

UPDATE: will be fixed in the coming 1.8.4v2 or 1.8.5v1 release
The release will also bring major improvements in the camera scheduler.
xjubier
Site Admin

Return to Solar Eclipse Maestro