How to Setup Configuration Wizard for Prime-Focus Use

Support for the Lunar Eclipse Maestro photography software.

How to Setup Configuration Wizard for Prime-Focus Use

Postby dawsonian2000 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:16 pm

Hi Xjubier,

I will be imaging the January 21st Lunar Eclipse using a telescope at prime-focus, and NOT with a standard camera lens. Can you provide information on how to setup the "Configuration Wizard" for this setup? My concern is what number I should use to put in the "Preferred Lens Aperture (f/number:)" field. Is this value the same as the focal ratio of the telescope? Or, should I set this value to 0, since I will not be using a camera lens; per se. BUT, using the telescope (without an eyepiece, or prime-focus) as the lens.

I will be using two telescopes. One is a 102mm f/9 refractor, and the other a 203mm f/10 Schmidt-Cassegrain.

Thanks, in advance for your help!
Mel
dawsonian2000

Re: How to Setup Configuration Wizard for Prime-Focus Use

Postby xjubier » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:04 am

dawsonian2000 wrote:My concern is what number I should use to put in the "Preferred Lens Aperture (f/number:)" field. Is this value the same as the focal ratio of the telescope? Or, should I set this value to 0, since I will not be using a camera lens; per se. BUT, using the telescope (without an eyepiece, or prime-focus) as the lens.

For coherency it's better to put the focal ratio of the telescope and if there is a focal reducer or any other equipment the final f/number.
Of course it doesn't really matter but that's what I always recommend.
xjubier
Site Admin

Re: How to Setup Configuration Wizard for Prime-Focus Use

Postby dawsonian2000 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:52 pm

xjubier wrote:
dawsonian2000 wrote:My concern is what number I should use to put in the "Preferred Lens Aperture (f/number:)" field. Is this value the same as the focal ratio of the telescope? Or, should I set this value to 0, since I will not be using a camera lens; per se. BUT, using the telescope (without an eyepiece, or prime-focus) as the lens.

For coherency it's better to put the focal ratio of the telescope and if there is a focal reducer or any other equipment the final f/number.
Of course it doesn't really matter but that's what I always recommend.

Excellent! Thanks Xavier!

Mel
dawsonian2000

Return to Lunar Eclipse Maestro