Shutter Speed Value x get y

Support for the Lunar Eclipse Maestro photography software.

Shutter Speed Value x get y

Postby MikeMaurer » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:45 pm

Hello,

Help, although for tonight it might be too late. :(

I'm going to try to use this for the lunar eclipse tonight. I have a problem with the script not changing the shutter speed, I checked the faq, I called nikon. I know that I'm supposed to use MTP or PTP, I have no way to change that on the camera although the tech specs show that is what I should have already. I changed settings so that my script has photo's 5 sec apart. My SD card is a Lexar Pro SD HC I 600x speed....

Maybe it is just that I have an old mac (2008) I can't find anywhere on the mac that shows a way to change any usb style settings.

Thanks for this program it is fantastic, I wish I would have found it earlier in time to learn it before tonight. I did practice manually changing the shutter speed during a practice run and that seems to work.
I will also be using a new mac with longer battery life tonight but can't practice with it...

Thank you in advance for any help or advice, now it is nap time :)
Clear skies for all in the morning!
Mike
MikeMaurer

Re: Shutter Speed Value x get y

Postby xjubier » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:15 pm

MikeMaurer wrote:Help, although for tonight it might be too late. :(

It was indeed because I was in eastern Indonesia with no reliable Internet connexion. I did see the TLE.

MikeMaurer wrote:I'm going to try to use this for the lunar eclipse tonight. I have a problem with the script not changing the shutter speed, I checked the faq, I called Nikon. I know that I'm supposed to use MTP or PTP, I have no way to change that on the camera although the tech specs show that is what I should have already. I changed settings so that my script has photo's 5 sec apart. My SD card is a Lexar Pro SD HC I 600x speed...

Maybe it is just that I have an old mac (2008) I can't find anywhere on the mac that shows a way to change any usb style settings.

It depends on the camera model, not the Mac. Which Nikon do you have?

MikeMaurer wrote:Thanks for this program it is fantastic, I wish I would have found it earlier in time to learn it before tonight. I did practice manually changing the shutter speed during a practice run and that seems to work.
I will also be using a new Mac with longer battery life tonight but can't practice with it...

Did you succeed?
xjubier
Site Admin

Re: Shutter Speed Value x get y

Postby timothynevious » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:39 pm

Hello Mike,

It's great that you're attempting to capture the lunar eclipse, and I understand the frustration you're experiencing with the script not changing the shutter speed as expected. It seems like you've taken the necessary steps, but let's troubleshoot a bit.

USB Settings:

Since you mentioned you couldn't find a way to change USB settings on your Mac, ensure that your camera is connected in the correct mode (MTP or PTP) for the script to communicate effectively. This might involve checking camera settings or trying a different USB port.
Script Configuration:

Double-check the script configuration to ensure that it's set up correctly for your camera model and the desired shutter speed changes. Make sure the script is compatible with your camera's capabilities.
Camera Compatibility:

Confirm that your camera model is indeed supported by the scripting software. Sometimes, certain camera models may have limitations or require specific settings to work with external scripts.
Battery Life:

When using a new Mac for the shoot, make sure your battery is fully charged to avoid interruptions during the eclipse. Also, check if the camera's battery is sufficiently charged.
Practice with New Equipment:

If possible, do a quick test with the new Mac and camera before the actual eclipse. This will help identify and resolve any potential issues in advance.
If the problem persists, you might want to consider manual adjustments during the eclipse, as you've successfully practiced before. Sometimes, a hands-on approach can be the most reliable solution.

Wishing you clear skies and successful lunar eclipse photography!

Best regards.
timothynevious

Return to Lunar Eclipse Maestro